Monday, December 7, 2015

Demystifying the PiYo Meal Plan

One of the things I loved about the 21 Day Fix was the simplicity of the meal plan.  I found the color system to be the perfect way for me to monitor my daily intake without counting calories.  It’s a no brainer!  If you’re like me, once you get used to that system, it’s hard to adjust to a new one. 

In comes the PiYo meal plan.  At first glance, the PiYo meal plan looks a little confusing.  The category names are long and there are two veggie categories…what???   But when you sit down to take a look at it in detail; the two meal plans are actually very similar.

Based on the calculations, I fall into the lowest calorie category for both plans.  Yes, even though you aren’t counting calories, the plans are still calorie-based.   For my calorie brackets, I’m allotted the following each day:



You’ll notice there is a pretty easy match from one to the other, with the exception of the PiYo Healthy Fats, which bundles the 21DF Blue, Orange, and Teaspoons.  PiYo also gives me an additional protein and vegetable.  Why is it that you’re always allowed more of the stuff you have the hardest time with in the first place???  Chalene must know my struggle!

Below is what a basic day might look like in both meal plans.  I used this breakdown with the 21 Day Fix to guide me, especially as I meal prepped.  Although the two plans are broken out differently, it feels a little more balanced in PiYo.  You’ll note that Shakeology can be used for a variety of different categories in PiYo.  I’ll be using mine as a lean protein since that’s an area I struggle to get enough of.

A Day in the Life - 21 Day Fix vs PiYo:



Here’s an example of my real life PiYo day.  I’m a creature of habit and need items that are easy to prep and easy to take with me to work.  So while my daily breakdown may not look all that exciting, it’s what works for me.  If you have more time and more cooking skills than I do, you’ll likely have a more exciting meal plan!


Hopefully, that helps take some of the mystery out of the PiYo meal plan!  If you truly find the color system easier, you could make the necessary adjustments to the number of containers used based upon the PiYo plan and continue using the containers for measurement sake.

For more tips and to join me on my journey, follow me on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment