Tuesday, September 29, 2015

21 Day Fix Workouts for the Third Trimester - Part 2

The second DVD that comes with the 21 Day Fix is comprised of the following workouts as well as a 10 minute abs workout, which is clearly off limits for the time being.  **As always, these are my experiences with the 21 Day Fix while in my third trimester.  Please consult with your OB or midwife prior to beginning any exercise regimen.**  Much like the first DVD, I was pleasantly surprised at how many of the workouts I was able to complete while feeling strong!  It’s amazing what a good endorphin boost will do for you in just 30 minutes of exercise at the end of the day (or beginning if that’s your thing). 

Cardio Fix
Cardio Fix, much like Total Body Cardio Fix, is high energy and great for the days when I needed a mood or energy boost.  Although I made quite a few modifications for this workout, I definitely worked up a sweat!

Modifications made:
-Followed the woman demonstrating the modified moves.
-Substituted the burpees for regular squats.
-Substituted the mountain climbers for back-kicks on all fours.
-Listened to my body.
-Stayed hydrated.

Dirty 30
Dirty 30 is one of the hardest workouts of the series.  I made several modifications for this workout as well, but not as many as I initially expected.  The substitutions helped me feel as though I was able to keep reaping the benefits of the workout rather than just taking a break.  I’m looking forward to what Dirty 30 will bring in the post-partum phase!

Modifications made:
-Followed the woman demonstrating the modified moves.
-Substituted the side planks for side leg raises.
-Used light weights only.
-Listened to my body.
-Stayed hydrated.

Yoga Fix
Yoga Fix has been my favorite during pregnancy!  This 30 minute yoga session really left me feeling relaxed and comfortable afterwards.  As with all of the other workouts, there were certain modifications that needed to be made, but for the most part the vinyasa sequences were very doable, even with a 39 week belly.  I was even able to convince my husband to join me on this one, which was awesome! 

Modifications made:
-Took it slow when transitioning from one position to the next.
-Rested during the on-the-stomach positions.
-Listened to my body.
-Stayed hydrated.


I can't stress enough how important it is to listen to your body during all aspects of pregnancy, but especially while exercising in your third trimester. I fully recommend throwing in the opportunity to walk and/or swim in the mix as well!  Keeping things fresh when you're towards the end of your pregnancy can be a huge motivator to work through the days you're just not feeling it.

Join me and follow me on Facebook for more of my journey to reframe fitness both during pregnancy and after!






No comments:

Post a Comment