Saturday, September 12, 2015

Supercharge your "Why"

A lot can be said about what motivates a person, why they do what they do, and what inspires them.  When making such a big lifestyle change, there needs to be some motivation to do so.  Without that, what’s the point?

As I’ve mentioned previously, I’ve always said that I want to be a good role model for my children so that they would grow up in a household where exercise was just part of what we do…not an obligation…not a burden, but something that we do and enjoy as part of our lifestyle.  Being married to a former college athlete and dedicated runner, my husband has this role down.  He is the epitome of consistent and dedicated to his running goals.  We attend his races on a regular basis and participate in the kids races to make it fun.  He has even taken on the role as Assistant Cross Country Coach at a local Division I University.  He walks the walk and talks the talk.

I, on the other hand, have always enjoyed working out and/or running, but did so more out of a desire to look good and burn calories.  Signing up for a big race would keep me motivated during the training period, but afterwards I would slack off in the consistency.  I’d do great with a home workout program at first, but allow excuses to eventually get in the way.  Even worse were my eating habits.  Processed foods and sugary treats are my weakness, always have been.
 When I found out that our second child would be a girl, the urge and desire to be a role model in regards to health felt even more important than before.  I can still remember times as a very young girl when I felt “fat” or was overly concerned about my body image.  And, when I say very young, I’m referring to as early as elementary school, maybe even earlier.  The thought that my daughter might feel that way is tough for me.  Perhaps it’s inevitable given all of the societal pressures, but I know I can do better at home to demonstrate that true fitness is about being healthy and making good choices, not just being skinny and looking great in the right outfit.

That’s not to say that my lifestyle, eating habits, and exercise regimen will be perfect.  But perfect isn’t a great role model either.  Follow me on Facebook as I continue striving to strengthen myself and “my why.”

No comments:

Post a Comment